Followers

Monday 22 August 2011

How To... Create a Envelope/Box Thing

Ok, I did promise a How To... Create the Envelope/Box Thing I created to hold my Dad's birthday Envelope Book card.

Once again I have taken photos at each stage, you will notice that I have used my new Hougie Board (I have fallen in love with my Hougie) for all of the scoring.

The  most difficult bit was working out what size paper I was going to need to create the envelope/box... so here goes my explanation for working out what size paper you need the information in (and in Blue) will show you how I worked out the size that I needed for this envelope/box:

Card Height
Measure the height of your card & add 0.5cm (My card is 11cm, adding 0.5cm gives me a height of 11.5cm)
Multiply the height by 2 (11.5cm x 2 = 23cm)
Measure the Depth of your card and Multiply by 2 (my card is 1cm deep - 1cm x 2 = 2cm)
Add the Depth to the height of your card (23cm + 2cm = 25cm)
Add the size of your envelope Flap - I have used 3cm (25cm + 3cm = 28cm)

Card Width
Measure the width of your card & add 0.5cm (My card is 11cm, adding 0.5cm gives me a width of 11.5cm)
Measure the Depth of your card and Multiply by 2 (my card is 1cm deep - 1cm x 2 = 2cm)
Add the Depth to the Width of your card (11.5cm + 2cm = 13.5cm)

After working out the size I then cut a peice of white paper measuring 28cm x 13.5cm

I hope that you were all able to follow my working out, this has reminded me of Algebra (I could never work out what X was equal to!!!!)

Creating the Envelope/Box:
Score along the lenght of the card at 3cm (to create the Tab) and at 4cm (to create the depth of the card)

Turn the paper around, then score at 11.5cm (the Height of the card) & 12.5cm (to create the depth of the card)

Score along the short edge at 1cm & 12.5cm (to create the depth of the card)

Using scissors or craft knife cut from the edge of the short edge to the score line of your depth (this will create a tab which will fold into the card).  Also but out the depth of the card from the envelope tab

I have shown in Green pen the area I then added glue to...

My finished box.
I hope you find this How To... useful.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips, and the photos really help to clarify it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial Helen. Lots of photos and helpful tips. ~Glen~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great tutorial, thanks for sharing.( now must get a board! ) Karen

    ReplyDelete